CAS Writing Tutoring
CAS Writing Tutors are undergraduate students from a range of academic disciplines including psychology, biology, history, business, and mathematics. Our tutors are prepared to help you during any stage of the writing process from brainstorming and development, planning and drafting, through organization, revision, and editing.
CAS is a place where all students are valued as writers and critical thinkers. During writing sessions, students will be actively engaged in discussion and activity with their writing.
Writing Tutors are located in the Center for Academic Success on the ground floor of Nease Library.
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT ONLINE*
*Before students can make an appointment for the first time, they will need to register as a new user and create an account using their ENC email address and password. Students can sign up for two appointments per week in CAS.
HOURS AND SCHEDULING INFORMATION
Writing Tutoring is generally open during the following hours when classes are in session:
Monday - Thursday: 2 PM - 4 PM, 6 PM - 9 PM
WRITING TUTOR POLICIES
Please note that by making a Writing appointment, you agree to adhere to the following policies:
- The Writing Support program has the following appointment limit: A student may sign up for up to 2 appointments (if available) in a week.
- You will arrive on time for your writing appointment.
- If you need to cancel an appointment, you must cancel your appointment in WCOnline at least 4 hours prior to the scheduled start of your appointment.
- Repeated cancelations may jeopardize your participation in the writing support program.
- All writing tutors and students are expected to adhere to the ENC Academic Integrity Policy. Any work submitted by a student must be their own. Any deviation from this may be considered academic misconduct. Any violation of the Academic Integrity Policy will result in immediate termination of writing support services and reporting to the Academic Dean.
Cancelation, Late, and Missed Appointment Policies:
- Students who do not cancel their appointment with at least 4 hours notice are marked Missed.
- Students who do not show up within 15 minutes of the scheduled start time of the appointment are marked Missed.
- Students who do not come to their scheduled appointment are marked Missed.
- A student with ONE Missed appointment on record will not be able to make any additional appointments until they have come in to speak with CAS staff about their WCOnline account.
The scope of CAS Writing Tutoring
- Our writing tutors are trained to read critically and to engage you in the process of developing and revising your writing. Our goals are to help you develop competence and confidence with your writing.
- We are not simply a drop-off editing service. We will certainly discuss sentence-level issues and proofreading and editing strategies, but we believe students should make all final writing decisions.
- We track all students who visit CAS with a summary report of their writing consultation. Reports can be e mailed to professors for verification and feedback upon request of the student.
- Writing Consultants cannot predict or explain grades received on writing assignments. We encourage you to speak directly to your instructor if you have questions about grades or assignment assessments.