Skip to Main Content

International Student Resources: Arriving at ENC & Travel Information

This is a libguide with resources for international students at Eastern Nazarene College

Arriving in the United States for New F-1 Students

Informing ENC of your Travel Arrangements


Prior to traveling, it is important that you notify ENC of your travel arrangements and arrival date in the United States.  Please e-mail the following information to dso(at) when you have made your travel arrangements: 

  • Time and date of arrival in Boston
  • Flight information, including airline and flight numbers
  • Expected time and date of arrival at ENC's campus
  • Travel arrangements from Logan Airport to ENC's campus (if you need help getting to campus, please include this information)


It is important to note that you may not enter the United States more than 30 days before Program Start Date, which is listed on page 1 of your I-20. 

Before Exiting your Home Country

When you travel, you should carry some specific documents on your person. Do not check them in your baggage. If your baggage is lost or delayed, you will not be able to show the documents to the Customs and Border Protection Officer and, as a result, may not be able to enter the United States.

Carry the following documents on your person:

  • Passport with visa
  • SEVIS Form I-20
  • Evidence of financial resources

It is also recommended that you carry the following:

  • Evidence of student status (for example, recent tuition receipts, transcripts)
  • Name and contact information for Designated School Official at ENC.  The person who signed the bottom of your I-20 is a DSO, and the phone number is (617) 745-3000. (In an emergency, if you cannot reach the office, you may call ENC security at 617-745-3911 and they will contact the DSO.)


Entry into the United States

When you exit your international flight, you will be directed to the U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) station.
Please make sure that the Customs and Border Protection Officer stamps your passport for "duration of status" (the stamp should have F-1 DS written on it). If it lists anything other than F-1 or if it has a date, it was done incorrectly. 

If your information cannot be automatically verified by the inspector or if you do not have all of the required documentation, you may be directed to an interview area known as “secondary inspection,” where the inspector may conduct some additional research in order to verify information. A photo and fingerprints will be collected and you may be asked to answer additional security questions.

Travel Within the U.S.

During your studies, you may travel within the U.S., provided you are maintaining your lawful status. Make certain to carry your original immigration documents with you (including your passport, I-20, visa, and passport stamp or I-94 reflecting admission in F-1 status.)


International Travel

Notification of Travel Plans

Anytime you plan to travel internationally, please first notify the DSO team via email.  That way, ENC's DSOs will be prepared to help you if you encounter any re-entry difficulties or if any emergency situation arises while you are away.


International Travel: During Program of Study

If you leave the U.S. during your program of study, you will need to have the following documents with you in order to return to the U.S. in F-1 status:

  1. An unexpired, valid passport
  2. An unexpired, valid F-1 visa stamp
  3. Current form I-20 that has been signed for travel on page 2 by an ENC DSO

A “travel signature” is generally valid for one year. You may request a more updated travel signature (six months prior to your expected date of return) if you intend to apply for a new visa during your trip abroad. 


International Travel: After Completion of Studies

If you are traveling outside of the U.S. after the date you officially complete your program of studies, you may not be eligible to return in F-1 status unless you have applied for and been approved for Optional Practical Training (OPT) or if you have a new I-20 to attend a new program of study. 

To return to the U.S. during OPT, you will need to present the following:

  1. An unexpired, valid passport
  2. An unexpired, valid F-1 visa stamp
  3. Current form I-20 that has been signed for travel on page 2 by an authorized DSO within six months of your expected date of re-entry.

In addition, we advise that you also carry:

  1. Your approved Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
  2. Proof of a job offer in your major field of study.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if my visa is valid for my reentry to the US?

The F-1 visa stamp in your passport must be valid on the day you will reenter the U.S. in order for you to be eligible to return with student immigration status. If your visa will expire before the date of your return, you must apply for a new visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy while you are out of the U.S. (Note: It is not possible to obtain a new visa from within the U.S.)

If your visa has expired and you are planning a short trip to Canada, Mexico, or the adjacent islands, you may be eligible to travel with automatic visa revalidation.

If you will be applying for a new nonimmigrant visa while abroad, please be aware that the U.S. Department of State has introduced a new Form DS-5535, Supplemental Questions for Visa Applicants, which may be required at the point of visa renewal. This supplemental form is not required for all visa applicants but may be requested at the discretion of a consular officer. If you are asked to complete this form, you will need to disclose your travel, address, employment history, family information, and social media accounts.


What should I keep in mind if I’m graduating or my I-20 is expiring?

If you are planning to graduate or if your I-20 is expiring, then you may need to take steps with the DSO before you depart the U.S. You may have difficulty returning to the U.S. in F-1 status if your classes are done and you have no further academic activities to complete at ENC. If you plan to request an I-20 extension, transfer to another school, or apply for post-completion OPT, you should do this before you leave so that your I-20 will correctly reflect your future academic intentions when you return.


What is a travel signature?

A travel signature is a signature from a DSO on page 2 of your I-20.  It is generally valid for one year and can be used for multiple trips abroad. (A signature is valid for six months only for F-1 students on approved F-1 Optional Practical Training.)

The travel signature must be valid on the date you reenter the U.S. following international travel.


Do I need a travel signature?

Check to see if there is a valid travel signature on page 2 of your I-20 (within one year for continuing F-1 students or within six months for F-1 students on OPT).

If you already have a valid travel signature, then you do not need a new one. A travel signature is considered valid if it is dated no more than one year before the date you expect to return to the U.S. A more recent travel signature is recommended if you will renew your visa on this trip abroad.


How can I request a travel signature?

Bring your I-20, along with your passport showing your most recent U.S. entry and your most recent visa, to the DSO to request a travel signature.

Travel signatures can often be completed on the same day if you plan ahead with the DSO. Please come prepared to wait a few minutes for this expedited service. To request a travel signature, please email dso(at)


What should I do after I return to the U.S.?

When you arrive in the U.S. by air or sea, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will stamp your passport and electronically update your I-94 entry record to reflect the immigration status under which you were admitted and the length of lawful stay that you have been granted.

Each time you reenter the U.S., it is important to check both your passport stamp and your electronic I-94 record to make certain these are correct. (For F-1 students and your F-2 dependents, your passport stamp and electronic record should reflect your correct status for “D/S” (duration of status).) Errors to your admission status or length of stay can jeopardize your ability to study, work and remain lawfully in the U.S. If you discover an error in your passport stamp or your electronic I-94 record, contact an ENC DSO immediately to discuss how this can be corrected.

Both your passport entry stamp and your I-94 record should read F-1 status and “D/S” (for “duration of status) if you are a student pursuing a full course of study.

A clear passport stamp is often sufficient to show your admission under a specific immigration status. However, if the stamp in your passport is not clear, OR if you need to apply for employment authorization or other benefits from federal government agencies, you will need to present a printout of your electronic I-94 record.

Questions? As always, please contact the DSO staff for questions about travel, visa renewal, and reentry to the U.S.

Airport Information

Boston Logan International Airport


Boston Logan International Airport is the closest airport to ENC and is accessible by taxi, uber, and train. 

Airport Code: BOS
International Arrivals are at Terminal E