Professional activity by ENC faculty is supported financially through grants from the IPD, through allocation of professional course loads and through sabbatical leave. Long term professional activity requires a regular investment of time by faculty in conjunction with their normal teaching, advising, and committee work. Professional Course Loads (PCL) provide faculty with a period of concentrated effort beyond what can be reasonably expected while maintaining a normal teaching load. PCL’s reallocate a portion of a faculty member’s required workload from classroom activity to professional activity outside the classroom. Expectations for other faculty activities such as advising and committee work are not diminished. At the conclusion of the PCL, the faculty member is expected to supply written documentation demonstrating the results of the work performed.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICANTS:
1. Faculty wishing to use a PCL must apply to the Instructional and Professional Development committee.
2. The applicant must include a plan with measurable objectives and written comment by both the division and department heads responsible for covering the reduction in load.
3. The applicant must apply to the IPD using the approved form.
4. Application for the Fall semester must be approved prior to March of the preceding academic year.
5. Applications for the Spring semester must be approved by the beginning of October in the academic year the activity will be performed.
6. All PCL’s must be approved by the Academic Dean based on the recommendation of the Instructional and Professional Development committee. There is no limit to the number of PCLs awarded to an individual faculty member.
7. Submit a PCL-Report to the IPD no later than 30 days into the semester following the completion of your PCL.